Tuesday, July 31, 2012

shopping with our eyes

It is the hardest shopping to do, but the most purse friendly.
We went out on the weekend to buy a light bulb (which is ironic as we did venture into homeware stores to get some "ideas" on our home furnishings).

 First stop...IKEA which I am pretty sure is Swedish for "female heaven".

Over our kitchen island bench (the plans can be seen here) I want two large industrial style pendant lights. I think these will be perfect and at $59 each they are very affordable. Especially when I have seen others sell for upwards of $300.


Next was our caesarstone bench tops. Below is a close up of what it will look like. We plan on having white cabinets and it creates a really nice and light feel which is what we are all about.
 
 

After our IKEA perve we went into Freedom Furniture to try out some of their couches. 

our couch. Perfect for the size of our current home
 Just to set the record straight, our current couch is wonderful. It was a wedding gift from all our amazing friends and family and it is so comfortable that we can often be found having a snooze on it at least once or twice a week. But for the area will be moving to it will be too small. We need to speak to Freedom (where it was from) to see if they still make it and see if we can get one or two more modules for the couch. If not, we have a perfect spot just for it in another room. We also have visions of having a lazy-boy each (yeah we are those kind of people).
Where was I?? Oh that's right, we had entered Freedom Furniture.
The first couch was sensational. I think although new, it may have been the reason behind the creation of the word comfort. This couch was devine. I instantly felt relaxed the moment I sunk into it. I could feel the excitement rushing as I almost shouted "we'll take it". Then we saw the price. Well technically it went in this order. I saw it, Matt saw my face, I told him to guess how much, he came up with $5000 and I laughed because he was spot on. Then almost cried as the price registered in my head. Moral of this story? Can you put a price on comfort? Why yes you can.
After this we sat on too hard, too soft, too low, too high. But then we sat on this bad boy and it felt amazing. Forget the colour as it comes in many different shades but for comfort it was perfect. And one of the features we loved was the armrest and how you can lay with your head against it which we currently cannot do. The photo is quite deceiving as it doesn't look much bigger than our couch but it was. Matt is fake relaxing (falaxing??) to show the length. It is over 6ft either way which is plenty big enough for us to both lay and have a joint snooze. (those snoozes will only become more frequent as we get older) This one was $3000 but they have 20% off so at $2400 it was starting to fall into our price range.



























Now I don't know if it is just us but standing up and sitting down trying out couches was extremely tiring for us and we realised we had worked up an appetite. I mean, to justify our Philly cheese steak and custard pastry we were pretty much doing lunges but in a very relaxing and slow way.
Before I go I will leave you with this photo. Just for fun. I picture us with one each, asleep with the television blaring only to be woken up at 3am by our cat Ralph attacking us. Not so happy on the price $1620 after discount, but it has given us some ideas that is for sure.  I hope to have more news on our next stage of the build shortly.

3 comments:

  1. Freedom has hands down the best couches. Shame they are so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen gurrl. Ours is still going strong and was a great price so I know there is another bargain out there just waiting to be found

      Delete
  2. If there's a bargain to be found. Your the girl to find it Emily Ann Terry

    ReplyDelete